August 19, 2009

"Mermaid Grooming Lesson"

“Mermaid Grooming Lesson”
Image size: 5” X 7”
Paper size: 6” X 8”
Acrylic & watercolor paint
Stonehenge 90lb paper
Date of completion: August 2009
8” X 10” single black matt included with purchase.
SOLD

A mother mermaid resting in a current swirl teaches her young daughter how to comb her hair. I think it might be a little hard to comb the tangles out underwater, so the mermaids must have a special way to do this.

I’ve been doing a lot of cats in the last year or so and I needed a little change from that subject, so I decided to do something with a mermaid. I have some 40+ (I’m not telling) years experience in doing portraits and figures, so the subject of mermaids is interesting to me. I had fun with this one and I might want to try a few more.