September 10, 2009

"Behind the Rose Bush"

“Behind that Rose Bush”
Black Oriental Cat & Rose Bush
Image size: 5” X 7”
Paper size: 5¾” X 7¾”
Watercolor, pastel pencil and acrylic paint
Stonehenge heavy weight 90lb paper
Date of completion: September 2009
8” X 10” single black matt included with purchase.
SOLD

An oriental black cat peeks out from behind a rose bush.

I just had to do another painting using this beautiful black oriental cat because I enjoyed doing the last painting so much. This time I wanted to emphasize this cat’s beautiful eyes, so I made him “hide” behind the roses with just one eye and partial hints of his nose and ear showing.
I used the same sort of technique and materials as in the last painting of this cat and roses except I used Stonehenge paper this time. The first piece had a soft cool light and tone whereas this one has more of a late afternoon feeling. I also made the cat's eye a little different color than the last one. I can’t decide which one I like best. They are of the same subject but very different.