September 8, 2009

"Black Oriental Cat & Roses"

“Black Oriental Cat & Roses”
Image size: 5” X 7”
Paper size: 6 X 8
Watercolor, pastel pencil and acrylic paint
Canson Mi-Teintes heavy weight 98lb paper
Date of completion: September 2009
8” X 10” single black matt included with purchase.
SOLD

This black oriental cat surrounded with roses seems to be like a king in his court.

I found this beautiful picture of a black oriental cat awhile back. His eyes are so intriguing to me and there is something about the way his is sitting that I love. I decided to paint him with roses because they just seem to go together so well.
First I used pastel pencil for my drawing, composition and color notes, then using the pastel pencil like watercolor pencils, I brushed my drawing with water to smooth, model and fix the pastel. Next with acrylic matt medium and acrylic paint I painted many layers using scumbling (light over dark) and glazing (dark over light) to achieve the final effect. It has a finishing coat of acrylic varnish and is sent in a single black matt ready for framing.