March 23, 2010

"Easter Egg Nest"

“Easter Egg Nest”
Original oil painting
6”X6” canvas prepared hardboard panel
March 2010

I have lowered the starting price on this little Easter painting.

The Easter Bunny must have been here, stopping by to color all the eggs in this bird’s nest on his way to the big Easter egg hunt.

I took a 6”X6” hardboard panel and covered it with a finely woven canvas material, then brushed 4 or 5 coats of gesso on, sanding it between coats to give it a nice smooth finish. I did this painting in many transparent layers paying close attention to the “thick over thin” rule of oil painting. I am really happy with the way this one came out. I like the strong contrast between the soft smooth surface of the eggs and the textured rough surface of the nest materials. It has a nice even sheen plus I put a thin coat of fine retouch varnish on it for the finishing layer.