September 1, 2010

"At the End of Your Rope"

“At the End of Your Rope”
Cat & Caterpillar
Original ACEO painting
Acrylic & ink pen
Canvas panel – fine weave canvas mounted to illustration board
Finished with acrylic semi-gloss varnish
Edges painted black
September 2010
SOLD - Thank you

If you find yourself at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I have always enjoyed sketching with a ball point pen. In fact it is usually my sketching tool of choice. However the thought of using ball point in a “finished” piece never really occurred to me until recently. I have used many different kinds of ball point pens but I like the fine point Paper Mate best because it has a very nice point and doesn’t blotch like some of them do and also because the ink is very permanent and archival. I made a very light pencil placement sketch first, then I added some watercolor under painting and used the pen to define the form and line. After that I used my acrylic paint to add color depth. It was a lot of fun. I had never tried this on canvas until this piece and I think because this is a very fine weave canvas, it works very well. I am very pleased with the way it came out and want to do more using this technique.