December 1, 2010

"Mouse & Purple Ornament"

“Mouse & Purple Ornament”
Original ACEO painting
2½”X3½” – official aceo size
Winsor Newton Artisan oil paint & colored pencil
Arches 300lb hot press watercolor paper treated with gesso ground
Edges painted black
November 2010
Sold - thank you

Here is another aceo painting of Santa’s little decorating mouse holding a purple ornament that he is about to position on the Christmas tree.

“'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;”………
But that’s not exactly true because Santa’s little mouse Christmas tree decorating team is very busy at work, for it is their job to make sure that all the Christmas trees are fully decorated by Christmas morning.

I liked doing the last mouse & ornament so much that I did another one. I’m enjoying this theme.  This time I used gesso treated 300lb watercolor paper. I drew out my design in colored pencil and then did my painting with my Winsor Newton Artisan oil paint (water mixable) using a transparent wash technique, very much like watercolor. I finished this painting with a thin coat of oil retouch varnish. I think that this technique really worked and I might do some more like this using the same method.