July 6, 2012

"Three Fantasy Garden Mice"


“Three Fantasy Garden Mice”
Small format painting – 4”X4”
Watercolor, colored pencil & acrylic paint
Hardboard panel -⅛" thick
Finished with acrylic varnish
July 2012
Sold - Thank you

These three little gray mice are enjoying the fantasy garden today.  The fantasy weather is just right for exploring, napping and just pain “hanging around”.



I still like these Ampersand Aquabord hardboard panels. They are very nice to work on with several different media. Because I like a smoother surface, I sand it a little before I start working. I prepare the back with one coat of gesso so I can write the information there and I like to paint the edges black so it has a nicer look to it if someone wants to display it without a frame.
After the preparation I began working first in colored pencil for the design, then watercolor for the basic color layout, and last I used acrylic paint to refine and finish the details.  It has also been varnished with acrylic semi-gloss varnish.